Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Change Your Stars

Sometimes, after months of living in the same cycle of work-sleep-drink (not in that order), I find myself on a euphoric kick. We all get those. From health kicks to Rocky style montages of learning something (okay, maybe just imagining the montage), you make resolutions. And I won't lie, I don't think I've stuck to any of them.
But, it's not an all or nothing ordeal. I wrote a personal list of things I want for my life before I'm 25. I thought I would share.
Things I Need to do Before 25:
1.become proficient with a handgun
2.learn how to drive (and own) a motorcycle
3.have a great wardrobe
4.be close to done with college
5.develop a taste for scotch, bourbon,  and fine whiskey
6.finish writing two books
7.lose 25-50 lbs
8.learn how to use a bow and arrow
9.have three essays (each 10 pages long) written about things that interest me.
10.be a pool shark
11.become a great poker player
12.become ridiculously good at an instrument
13.learn about where I came from and try to understand why i'm here
14.don't speak unless my words have value
15.become more socially aware
16. Get really good at darts

Some of these I have actually started with. I now know the basics of poker, how to hold a pool cue, I'm about two chapters (or so) away from finishing my first book, and I actually woke up this morning to write and exercise (which, for me at least, was more coughing and wheezing than actual work, but I stuck it out).I always find myself thinking about a Knight's Tale. Weird, right? Heath Ledger (RIP) proclaims, "a man can change his stars!" And I love that. Maybe I'm not destined to be a lazy waitress after all? Who knows.

All I know is that I've always sat at the sidelines of my own game and just went with whatever the world threw at me and, although the ability to accept change is an ameable quality, it's no way to build an actual life for myself and my fiance.

Change your stars, kids! And have a good day!
-Alaska Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment